Friday, January 25, 2008

Up, Down, Up

Dr. Seuss could have written a book about my mood. Up, Down, Up. Good, Bad, Great.
Despite significant aid from the very latest pharmaceuticals, I never know what I am going to feel like hour to hour, day to day. When I am down, I am pretty sure I will stay down for ever. When I am up, I wait in suspense for the next down.

This morning I was up during my devotional time. As I read Psalm 21, it suddenly occurred to my moods are at the very least, biblical. The first line of Psalms 21, 22, and 23 will give you a pretty good idea where David's head was at when he wrote each one:

Psalm 21: The King rejoices in your strength, Lord ( David was the King!)
Psalm 22: My God, my God, why have you forsaken me (David speaking again, and Jesus used the quote on the cross)
Psalm 23: The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. (David again, now he is just one of the sheep and glad to be that).

Well, I don't know how much time transpired between the composition of each Psalm, but I do find it gratifying that they reside in a clump. A few minutes reading clearly shows that up and down were both a part of the life of a man after God's own heart.

No comments: