Friday, March 31, 2006

Blogger’s Block

Blogger’s Block

I think I have the blog version of writer’s block. Every time I try to steer my brain towards something worth writing about, it just shuts down. This is coupled with a general down feeling and a need for a lot of rest. I had a week with three doctor’s appointments. It turns out that even if you take decent care of yourself, you still fall apart over time. Of course, when I was younger, I did not take decent care of myself. But for the past 20 plus years I have been practically squeaky clean.

O.K. It is time to turn my thoughts elsewhere. I closed my eyes and thought back to when I was a little kid (about a half a century ago, really). I had recurrent dreams where I suddenly discovered that by jumping just right I could practically fly. I could take one long floating jump for 25 or 50 feet or more. In the dream I discovered that if I moved just right I could keep floating along. At least once, while I was awake, I remembered the dream so vividly that I became convinced that if I would move just right when I jumped, I would float across the yard. I wasn’t really frustrated when I couldn’t. I was just surprised. It had seemed so real in the dream.

I wonder if there was any relationship to something I used to do a lot when I was a little kid. I would lie in bed with my eyes closed and imagine that the bed was lifting up off the floor. I could rotate it. I could even lift up through the ceiling and hover above our block. I could fly anywhere I wanted. Of course my eyes were closed, so I couldn’t see anything happening. But I could feel the change in my position. I could feel the drop below my bed floating high in the air. I tried this again not so long ago. It still works.
Post a Comment