Saturday, May 13, 2006

Cup of Cold Water

Matthew 10:42 (New International Version)
42And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."
I have been haunted by this verse for weeks.  I had to check past posts to make sure I hadn’t already written about it.  I stumbled last week as I considered the purpose and impact of my life.  I simply could not imagine that the sorts of things I do each day could matter very much to God or the people around me.  Correction:  I could not imagine that the good things I do matter very much.  My sins have clearly contributed to the debased state of this world and the pain that we all share.  But my acts of kindness, the scope of my love, the purity of my intentions all seemed insignificant.

But the phrase “if anyone gives even a cup of cold water” restores my hope.   Especially since Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward”.  

By the grace of God, I am able to do some few things that are good.   My motives are mixed, but at least they are mixed and not purely selfish.  I pray that God will give me the opportunity and the will to hand out a few more cups of cold water.

1 comment:

Pamela Joy said...

You've certianly given me more than cold water, and you and mom's love is the clearest picture of the Father's love for me that I have ever experienced. Significant? Well, at least as far as I am significant, yes.