Monday, August 14, 2006

56 Today

Charles age 18 with Kent age 55

I got a cane for my birthday. It wasn't a joke. I asked for a cane because I'm trying to make my arthritic knee last a bit longer.

I have grown kids, including a married daughter. I have a white beard. I walk with a cane.

All of this is genuinely blowing my mind.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. I still love to learn. I am more and more free of the illusion that I have to hurry up and learn "enough" . There will never be enough. That is one reason why eternity will be a blast rather than boring.

My body is aging and I am struggling a bit to accept that fact. I thank God that he is faithful to grow us in mind and spirit, now and for eternity. I also thank him that we get new bodies somewhere down the line!

7 comments:

Janice said...

ha. i'm 20 and have random short term memory loss, grayish hair, and my back hurts when it rains. you're not alone!

Pamela Joy said...

haha Janice, he's going to make so much fun of you for saying that. No one is allowed to be at all old unless they're 50 or older according to dad. 50 is even young eh dad? hehe. Anyway, I love you Dad, hope you had a grrreat birthday.

Unknown said...

Dear Janice and Pamela,

I have been too often guilty as charged by my darling daughter. I gratefully receive the rebuke :-) I suppose the fact is that we are all struggling with weaknesses of some sort and it is encouraging to know that we struggle with God as our help, our brothers and sisters at our side, and Heaven as our destination.

Kent

Pamela Joy said...

you are such a sweet, sexy, old man.

love,
anonymous

Pamela Joy said...

oh, oops! That was me, mom, on that last post. I didn't post it correcly. I don't think Pamela considers you particularly sexy...

Unknown said...

And for the record, it is Pamela's mom who finds me sexy, not my mom. I guess this was a case of thoroughly unintentional identity theft.

Barbara, thanks for the post, you have actually made me blush on several counts.

Barb said...

Thanks for clearing up the SEXY thing. I was a bit confused when I first read it. Happy Birthday old man. Glad you and Sam made it out alive!!!