Thursday, March 13, 2008

Slow Learner

I am a slow learner. I hope you are doing better, but probably not. God lets most of us live for decades. Those appear to be decades we need to learn lessons he has for us before we move on to a world with no more crying and no more pain. I believe I will still learn in the next life, but it will have to be learning that can occur without pain as our teacher.

I realize that much learning does occur without pain. I am very grateful that it does. Joy, beauty, and love make wonderful teachers. I would be very happy to have them as the complete faculty for The Academy of This Life. However, God loves me too much to give me an incomplete education.

If I am honest, however, I must admit that pain has taught me lessons that I refused to learn from all other teachers. God knows all things and knows me better than I know myself. God knows that there have been and will be lessons that only pain can teach me. I have spent so much of my life avoiding pain or wishing that pain would go away, that I have failed to appreciate how instructive pain can be. I don't think I really appreciate it now. But I am learning.

I am a slow learner. But God will grant me exactly as much time as I need for the lessons I am able to learn.

1 comment:

Béthany said...

HCAP is the Halifax Coalition AgainstPoverty- we organize to defend the rights of people that are mistreated because they are poor. This involves opposing some powerful political and social structures. We fight to overcome everything that condemns people to poverty, including unfair laws, corrupt landlords and bad business practices.