Monday, September 22, 2008

We May Share More Than We Think We Do

From time to time I have the privilege of corresponding with folks that are much younger than I am. Often we go into some depth about how to cure the worlds ills, what is the center of our lives, things of that sort. I often get the spooky feeling that I understand very well what the younger person is saying, but that I have grown a layer of callous on my soul, or a set of wrinkles on my face, that makes it hard for me to convince someone young that I do understand. It occurred to me that perhaps there were shared experiences that would reveal the parts of our souls that are quite similar.

Below is a commercial that Apple ran when introducing the Macintosh in 1984. And by the way, the book 1984 was written in 1948. Decade after decade, generation after generation, many of us find it easy to understand why the imagery in this commercial is so powerful. Perhaps we share more than we think we do.



1 comment:

Pamela Joy said...

shoot... I don't think I get it... maybe we young people aren't as hip or smart as you think...