Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Who Am I?

I wonder that myself. I have so many titles that it's easy to get confused about what role I play in this world. Despite my 58 years, I am still a Child of God. My marriage is a great one, so I am a happy Husband. We have raised four children, and although the youngest is almost 18, I will always be Dad to each of them. Two years ago I added Grandpa. Fortunately, I had added the title Father-in-Law years before that.

At work I was often referred to as the Boss, since I was an engineering manager for most of my 33 years with HP. Nonetheless, I am enough of a nerd that many friends and family still think of me as an Engineer. After all, I can still get pretty excited about the latest developments in light emitting diodes (LED's), computer chips, and fiber optics.

These days I can refer to myself as Retired, although I prefer the title Freelance. That shift has allowed me more time to be a Volunteer for several outfits. It has also allowed me to become a Student, which is a title I hadn't used for more than 34 years. Perhaps upon completing my journalism class I will qualify as a Writer. That sounds like fun.

Well, that's enough about me. I would prefer to ask, “Who are you?”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kent and may God's abundant blessings be with you and all of yor loved ones in the the New Year and for many more years to come.

I am someone from your distant past at HP in Palo Alto. I was one of the techs you worked with in R&D and later I was one of the members of the women's softball team that you and Jeff Schnur coached.

I have often wondered about what happened to you and when I saw Jeff at a recent HP alumni lunch he filled me in.

I have read many of your blog posts and am glad to hear of your walk through life with Our Lord and the happiness He has brought to you. May His blessings be with you always.

Jsut thought I'd say "hello",
Cassandra Perez-Archer (R&D 1974-1976)

Unknown said...

Cassandra,

Thank you. Your comment is very meaningful to me. It is amazing how the years have flown by!

Kent