Saturday, February 02, 2008

1:30 AM

It's early morning now. Instead of sleeping, I am messing with the computer. Why? Well, the short answer is that Barbara is gone (that would be "the wife" for those who do not know us). I thought, "Why stay up all night just because the wife is gone?" I have no answer to that question. However, it did occur to me "Why did I stay up all night, every night, for three months during the summer of 1969? Answer: Because I had a night shift job at a machine shop that paid a whopping $2 per hour. That is an even less satisfying answer than "I have no answer."

For a stream of consciousness grand finale: I suddenly realized today that I could use Google Earth to look at the town in Ohio where I spent my senior year in High School. I used the search feature to find Machine Shops in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. And there it was: Reuther Mold and Manufacturing. The site of that dismal summer of night shifts. Still in business. Still at the same location almost four decades later.

Some time I'll have to tell the story of why I kicked the 6' 8" shot putter in the butt as he labored at his station in Reuther Mold and Manufacturing. Not now.

Sweet dreams.

3 comments:

Barbara Schnake said...

oh some ON! Tell us the story!
And get some sleep. I'm home now.

oh, and how bout them Giants and the BOSS!

Barbara Schnake said...

Oh come ON! Tell us the story!
And go to bed. I'm home now.

oh, and how bout them GIANTS and the BOSS!

Pamela Joy said...

Now THAT was a blog post. Totally pointless and only possibly interesting to those who know you well. Welcome to the ranks.