Sunday, April 06, 2008

Why I've Never Become Comfortably Numb

"Hello, hello, hello --- is there anybody in there?" That is the opening verse to "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd. I have listened to "Comfortably Numb" at least hundreds of times, maybe a thousand or more. It may be my all time favorite. Sadly, I know why. I've spent much of my life wanting to be numbed to all the pain there is in this sin cursed world. I tried to eliminate as much pain as I could. All too often that involved doing things that muted the pain for a while, but any pain I skipped seemed to be stored and amplified for consumption later. Still I longed for an end to pain.

Now I know that the end is near. Life is hard, then you die: Praise God! In this world we will have much trouble ,but take heart. This world and this life will soon pass away. We are promised a new heaven and a new earth, where there will be no more crying and no more pain. I long to be there, who wouldn't? But for now, I am here. God put me here. He knows that I hurt. He knows that some days seem interminable. He also knows what is best for me. He gives me what I need, and it often is not what I want.

It is easy to thank God for every moment of pleasure I have known. It is difficult to thank him for a single moment of pain. Yet my time on this earth is a gift. I can serve him and grow in him in ways that, apparently, are only possible here. Forgive me Lord. May your will be done.
Post a Comment