Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Google Chrome Won't Get You Home

I guess it had to happen. Until now I was very pleased with each new Google application that I tried. Unfortunately I have just run into my first "Microsoft-Like" experience with Google.

The Chrome browser seems to load web pages faster than Internet Explorer. Great! But I realized my Google Toolbar was no longer present (I needed the translate function). When I tried to install Google Toolbar, I get this message:

We're sorry, but Google Toolbar 5 is only available for Internet Explorer and Firefox.

How weird is that?  

I decide to write a friendly note to Google to help them see how absurd that is, when I ran into the next "Microsoft-Like" experience:  Nobody to write to.  I couldn't find an e-mail address anywhere.  Not for feedback.  Not even for questions.   Everyone is inexorably steered toward an uber-geek forum where we get to ask and answer our own questions.  Totally unsatisfactory.

Meanwhile, the good news is that Google is free.  The bad news is that Google is starting to show tendencies that are deadly:

1. The left hand does not know what the right is doing (as with no toolbar on Chrome).

2. They are unwilling to give me a simple way to provide feedback.

I predict that soon we will encounter the next phase:  "Oh, we decided that part isn't free anymore.".  I just went through that with Kodak's picture storage site.  I didn't buy enough prints, etc. to suit them, so they deleted my account.  I wonder how long before Picassa treats me that way.

No comments: