Friday, April 20, 2007

Howard Thurman

Many thanks to Bethany Horne who published a quote by Howard Thurman in her blog. I am often arrogant enough to think that I would recognize most "significant" authors names. Nonsense. I have barely scratched the surface. Besides, my memory is failing me in ways I had not experienced in earlier decades.

However, the reason for me not knowing anything about Howard Thurman is painfully simple. He was a black man. I was educated in a culture that gave no credence to black people. Here is another quote by him:

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

This was quoted in Wikipedia just below the same quote that Bethany cited. It is a quote that I very much needed to read. The timing could not be better. I have had a very down day. Since March 2 I have never fully recovered the ability to do such things as take walks of more than a few hundred feet or ride my bicycle. I have pretty much been restricted to my Lazy Boy nest at home with occasional outings to my HP cubicle. Generally I have adapted well to this confined life. However, today I am struggling with a vague feeling of illness and malaise. My state of mind has approached that of the darker days of my clinical depression. And this at a time when I am pondering how I will use the remainder of my life now that I am retiring from HP as of May 31. In my current state of mind I find myself wishing there was no remainder. I am assured by those who love me that this will pass. I believe that. That's where the quote comes in. I have been thinking in terms of what the world needs. Those needs are overwhelming! I am glad for the chance to think about what makes me come alive. I believe that by truly coming alive I can serve the God who gave me a new life and eternal life. It is deeply reassuring.

Thank you, Bethany. Thank you, God.

2 comments:

Pamela Joy said...

Dad, I too get overwhelmed thinking of all the things the world needs. I guess I try not to think in terms of "what makes me come alive" because that feels selfish... but really it is a pretty good indicator of using the gifts God gave you - if you are in the priveledged position (which we are) to have that choice. I am excited for you Dad. Maybe a kid isn't supposed to say this kind of thing to her Dad but I just see that you have so much potential, so many great gifts, and the Lord is opening your heart to the needs of the world at this time because he wants to use those gifts. But it is never us who works, only God who works through us! And it's not up to us what the results of our works are - only that we are faithful enough to do them.
To conclude, these are 2 passages Michael and I have been pondering lately:
Luke 14:12-14
Luke 17:1-10

God has great things in store for you Dad, but don't worry if they're important, just worry if you're obedient (that's what I have to tell myself often).
love,
Daughter

Unknown said...

Plamela,

Thank you, it is a very great blessing to have a daughter who can offer such deep comfort and wisdom. It is also wonderful to know that you and Michael would spend time contemplating scriptures like the ones you referenced. I am reminded a "measure" I have heard of how well you are able to be a servant: An important indicator of your willingness to serve is your response when you are treated like a servant.

God has blessed me with such wonderful opportunities that they are overwhelming in their own way. But it is a good problem to have!

Love,
Dad