Thursday, April 12, 2007

Treasure Found While Not Seeking

I used a quote from my niece's MySpace profile recently: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere". A kind reader (I refer you to his blog :Coyets' Random Thoughts ) commented and gave the original context of that quote. It is a letter written by Martin Luther King while he was imprisoned for a nonviolent protest of segration in Alabama: Martin Luther King's Letter from Birmingham Jail . It is no surprise to me that I was not familiar with the letter. I was a boy in Lousiana at the same time that Dr. King was writing it. I was raised in the segregated south by a family committed to the idea that white people were superior to people of color. A letter of this sort was definitely not a part of my education.

What a joy it was to read it for the first time! It is so gratifying to see how well Dr. King stated his case protesting the injustice of segregation! It gave me a great deal of pleasure to read it from start to finish, yet all the while I felt challenged to find the courage to resist injustice with nonviolent direct action of my own.

1 comment:

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

Hey Kent,
Thanks for the nice blog comment. It was encouraging too. :)
I heard that you did a great job teaching the Bible last Sunday in Philomath. My dad and Janet both had great things to share from your message when we saw them Monday at the beach! Wonderful insight from the Lord!
:) Bethany